Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Experience with My College Course

“Opportunities to find deeper powers within ourselves come when life seems most challenging.” This quote was said by Joseph Campbell. From his quote I believe what he said about challenges in life are true. Me being in Summer Scholars, my life has been a lot more challenging and difficult then I have ever felt during summer vacation. Even though I did not have to do Summer Scholars, I knew that it would better me for college and overall life. The first week of my college course and meeting my professor was one of the opportunities I have from Summer Scholars.

The college course I am currently taking at UNO is Native American Studies. When the first day of class started, I was not feeling nervous at all, but I was wondering if my professor was going to be difficult or easy going. Then when my professor came into the class, I knew she was going to be nice. The first thing Mrs. Rocha did was open up the windows and let light into the class room. After she opened up the windows, she began to talk about her syllabus. From Mrs. Rocha’s voice I could tell it was very soothing and gentle. I had never had a teacher with such a gentle voice before.

From Mrs. Rocha’s syllabus, I knew the course was going to be a lot different than high school. The course was going to be a semester class packed into a month’s course. From such a small time period, the course is going to be a lot more strenuous and fast. Even though Mrs. Rocha talked about the difficulty of the class I was ready. The things that encouraged me the most to find confident in Native Americans studies were college credit and a head start to college. The things that came as a challenge to me were the reading materials each day and the tests. So far this class has been very fun to learn and Mrs. Rocha is a great professor.

Overall taking a college course is one of my best opportunities from my first week in Summer Scholars. Taking this college course benefits me from being a head start to college than other juniors. Also it gives me a chance to see how college is really like first hand. Through my challenges from Summer Scholars I will try to step up and fight through. Like Joseph Campbell said, Opportunities to find deeper powers within ourselves come when life seems most challenging.”

No comments:

Post a Comment